The Jewish Quarter Walking Tour traces the history of what was once the largest Jewish ghetto in Europe.
This moving story embraces the traditions, customs and legends of the Jewish people in Prague, from their early settlements in the 10th century, through the poverty of the pogrom refugees, their successes and their enforced isolation.
We learn of the every day life of the Jewish people throughout the ages; how they lived, worked and survived in the Jewish Quarter (Josefov) in Prague.
Admission to, and a guided tour of, all the monuments forming the Jewish Museum in Prague is included in the trip.
The story vividly unfolds as we explore the synagogues, the cemetery and the streets of the former Jewish Ghetto. Why for instance were people buried twelve deep, one on top of the other, and who was the famous “Golem”? We also discover why, despite the terrible purges during the Nazi occupation, Adolf Hitler wanted to preserve the Jewish Ghetto in Prague.
And, as we tour the Jewish Quarter we'll discover a little of the life of Franz Kafka, the famous author born and raised here.
The Jewish Quarter forms an integral part of the history of Prague. It's a fascinating story, if you let us tell it.
- Development of the Jewish Ghetto, including the history of the synagogues, Old Jewish Cemetery and Jewish Town Hall.
- Jewish communities in Prague from the earliest records of 965.
- Changing status of Jews over time.
- Background to, and reasons for the redevelopment of the Jewish Ghetto 100 years ago.
- Fate of the Jews over the centuries and the tragedy of the Holocaust.
- Remnants of a community; Prague's Jewish community today.
Prague Experience walking tours are in English and are led by professional, licensed tourist guides.
A tour in other languages can be arranged for groups of 10 or more people. If required, please specify on the booking form.
For groups of 10+ people, we can arrange at no extra cost:
-a private guide exclusive to your group.
-a departure time of your choice.
-a tour in another language.
To reserve, mention it in special requests on the booking form.