Bethlehem Chapel (Betlémská Kaple) is set on Bethlehem Square (Betlémské náměstí), a delightful little square in the heart of the Old Town.
Bethlehem Chapel has a torrid history, one which reflects the many religious wars that had such an impact on Prague and the Czech Republic as a whole.
The church was founded in 1391, as a holy place where church services could be held in the Czech language.
Jan Hus, founder of the Hussite movement and a Czech national hero, preached here between 1402-1412.
Shortly afterwards, the Czech Technical University took control of it, until 1661, when it was altered from a protestant to a catholic church by the Jesuits.
In 1786, a major section of the chapel was destroyed. It was reconstructed in the 20th century under the instruction of the architect J. Fragner. Parts of the original walls remain in the structure.
Today, Bethlehem Chapel holds religious services. Plus the occasional classical music concert.
During the winter the interior of the church is heated, but it is advisable to wear warm clothing for the concerts.