The Lesser Town Bridge Tower is situated at one end of Charles Bridge
, and is the ancient gate to the Lesser Town (Malį Strana)
For tourists arriving from the Old Town, this is the main pedestrian entrance to the Lesser Town, a lovely quarter of Prague with restaurants, bars and boutique shops.
The Lesser Town Bridge Tower was built in the second half of the 15th century under the rule of King George of Podebrady. The model for its construction was undoubtedly the Old Town Bridge Tower, constructed earlier on the opposite side of Charles Bridge.
Connected to the Lesser Town Bridge Tower by a walkway is a smaller tower, Judith's Tower, the only remaining part of the original Prague bridge, the Romanesque Judith's Bridge, which was destroyed by floods in 1342.
Inside the Lesser Town Bridge Tower is an exhibition dedicated to the eventful history of Charles Bridge, with graphic descriptions of the invading armies that have crossed it.
There are stairs to the top, which you can climb for a fine view over the Lesser Town, Charles Bridge, the Vltava River and across into Prague's Old Town.